[FoRK] Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 23 22:11:37 PDT 2010

--- On Wed, 6/23/10, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> > Sorry if my attempt at light conversation was too flippant or
> > insulting to practitioners of cryonics... I'm sure they are serious
> > and earnest people, and would honor any contracts made. The remark
> > probably reflected more to my general aversion of paying up front for contractors.
>
> You don't, actually. There are membership fees, but the suspension
> is funded via insurance.

This seems like severe splitting of hairs? What difference does it make if you pay the cryonics company or the insurance company? You're still paying up front. Not?

And the "contractor" is still getting paid up front, e.g. before you are resurrected.

Like John, I'm a proponent of contractors billing me *after* providing the service. Or at least a very hefty holdback.

Yeah, I know ... I know.... the cryonics company needs revenues to be able to afford the initial treatment and ongoing maintenance. But the big part of the bundle, to me, would be the reawakening. Not just return to consciousness but to good working order .. congnition and physiology.

Do the current cryonics contracts include restoration to a good working state? E.g. are they responsible for repair of the condition that caused death as well as the revival?

          ...ken...