[FoRK] Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Jun 24 02:49:45 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:11:37PM -0700, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:

> This seems like severe splitting of hairs? What difference

What I meant that it's not a lump sum. Such are possible, but
not encouraged. Especially, last minute arrangements.

> does it make if you pay the cryonics company or the insurance
> company? You're still paying up front. Not?

If you think of cryonics as a complex and expensive
medical procedure paid via insurance, then it starts
making more sense.

> And the "contractor" is still getting paid up front, e.g. before you are resurrected.

Your medical "contractors" are also paid as the therapy
goes along. Let's say you spend half a year in intensive
care unit. Will they wait to bill you until you've recovered
(and perhaps even waive the fee in case you expire, though
of course their costs are the same, and they're not a charity),
or will there be running costs, billed to your insurance?
I suspect it's the latter.

> Like John, I'm a proponent of contractors billing me *after*
> providing the service. Or at least a very hefty holdback.
>
> Yeah, I know ... I know.... the cryonics company needs revenues
> to be able to afford the initial treatment and ongoing maintenance.
> But the big part of the bundle, to me, would be the reawakening.
> Not just return to consciousness but to good working order .. congnition and physiology.

When you suffer, say, a stroke you can try making the payment conditional
upon therapeutical outcome by your treating medics. Zero advance payments
(no insurance), that of course means you have to prove you have the funds,
so there will be escrow. Since there's a high risk, the sum will
have to be pretty astronomical -- probably two-digit megabucks. Chump
change, to some.

Maybe you can make up an appointment at Kayser, and talk to them about
your plan.

> Do the current cryonics contracts include restoration to a
> good working state? E.g. are they responsible for repair
> of the condition that caused death as well as the revival?

I don't actually know that. For those interested slogging
through legalese, there's

http://alcor.org/Library/index.html#signup