[FoRK] Fw: Re: Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Thu Jun 24 05:24:55 PDT 2010

On Jun 23, 2010, at 23:29, "Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo"
<ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> jb, how many payments towards my frozen head would $8,000 have
> bought me? (That's what my new motorcycle will cost when I'm done
> with adding a few mods.)

At the rate I locked in my premium, that's well over a decade of
coverage (and I'm funded several multiples more than needed to pay the
price.)

Ymmv, though.  You are buying insurance. Highly variably based on your
situation and status.  It appears based on a quick quote check that I
could get a 20 yr $200k policy starting today if I wasn't already
covered, well beyond what's necessary, for about $100 / month.  And
that's w/o really shopping around.  $3 / day, roughly.

1 Starbucks coffee or three sodas from a vending machine or a pack of
smokes.  Less than many Americans pay for cable TV.  Certainly less
than most folks pay for a mortgage or rent.  Even less than financing
some used beater of a car.  Less than 1 movie or 1 fast food meal.

At the current spot price of the procedure, $8000 is 10% (last time I
checked the base cost was $80k. A decade ago, it was $30k.). There are
some other direct costs but they are de minimus.

(Really, there are ancillary costs related to papering the deal that
many may want to do that dwarf the cost.  Preparing a decent will and
other estate documents will approximate the cost of or run more than
your motorcycle, if done well and professionally.  There are fairly
extensive additional considerations in that process that should be
addressed if you are contemplating this sort of thing.)

Disclaimer: this does not constitute advice.

jb