[FoRK] "Two faces of the Tea Party"

Dave Kammeyer kammeyer at kammeyer.org
Thu Jun 24 10:14:25 PDT 2010

The closest thing to a formal platform is this:

http://www.thecontract.org/the-contract-from-america/

Two planks are Balanced Budget, and extend the Bush tax cuts, followed
by some sort of tax overhaul.  They pay for this by ending earmarks.
That oughta save a few billion.

Repealing HCR and keeping SS/Medicare is something you hear from most
tea-on-the-street folks, because most of the tea party is old and
about to collect these benefits.

Another plank of theirs is capping the increase in the size of the
federal budget.  That's a good start, but the on-budget discretionary
part of the budget is dominated by military spending.  You don't hear
most TP people clamoring to cut military spending.

-Dave