[FoRK] Fw: Re: Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Thu Jun 24 10:21:25 PDT 2010

--- On Thu, 6/24/10, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> Neglected to mention --- if you're really into the idea of
> tooling around on a motorcycle, even as aging-related
> declines in motor skills, equilibrium and reaction times
> decline, then it's probably not worth even wasting the time
> to run the cost-benefit analysis re:  cryonics.
>
> Excellent way to get a head injury sufficient to render the
> whole thing moot.

For the record, I began riding in 1965. I rode for over thirty years. I taught the Canadian equivalent to your Motorcycle Safety Foundation riding course for a decade. I helped rewrite the national program in the 80's. And I ran the provincial program for the last three years of my involvement.

Upshot: I'm quite aware, perhaps more than most, of the potential consequences of returning to the sport.

Also, for the record, I did not jump back into this on a whim. I've been giving it serious consideration for at least two years and have spent a number of months trying to match the type of motorcycle purchase to the type of riding I'm most interested in doing.

> ;-)

Indeed.

> PS - there is a significant ancillary concern lurking in
> here.  As various technologies for longevity modulo
> accident and trauma progress, does society become
> necessarily unhealthily risk-averse?

Probably. I see that happening already with the way we raise our children and the way we allow our governments to increase the security blanket with little protest. Yes, I know that's not precisely aligned with your suggestion but I think it's all related. I think we are becoming much more risk-averse in general because we want to retain what we have -- living standards, health and longevity. And if cryonics begins to catch the public attention, making sure we are in a condition to take advantage of it.

I think in many ways it has already reached unhealthy proportions.

        ...ken...