[FoRK] "Two faces of the Tea Party"

Michael Cummins michael at i-magery.com
Thu Jun 24 10:37:37 PDT 2010

> Dave wrote:

> because most of the tea party is old and about
> to collect these benefits.

I'm 40.  The few things I attended were populated with 30-40-50 something's.
I honestly don't expect Social Security to be around when my turn comes, to
be honest.  I doubt I'm alone in this but I'm hardly representative, and I
can understand the resentment from someone who has paid into it their whole
life and then gets the rug pulled out from underneath them.

> Another plank of theirs is capping the increase
> in the size of the federal budget.  That's a
> good start, but the on-budget discretionary part
> of the budget is dominated by military spending.
> You don't hear most TP people clamoring to cut
> military spending.

Not in a general sense, but I think the atmosphere in the tea party crowd is
pretty anti-pork.  It's one of the common threads that link these disparate
communities.  If you shine a bright enough light on anything particularly
wasteful, I don't think it will matter what department the waste falls
under.

- MEC