[FoRK] Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Thu Jun 24 10:51:54 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 09:56:30PM -0700, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> --- On Tue, 6/22/10, Reese <howell.r at inkworkswell.com> wrote:
> > On 20-Jun-10 21:15, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> > > ...My attention and interest is currently focussed on
> > figuring out how to fix the carburetion on my new motorcycle to restore
> > what the EPA taketh away. Fairly basic physics principles involved but
> > getting it all to work together properly seems to also involve Voo-Doo
> > and other metaphysical elements. I have ordered new jets and have a
> > couple of sacrificial events scheduled.

Carbs are Fun.  Every time I try to tune them, I think of an old Chinese
medical term, "Running Pigs".  You chase a problem around a pen, you think
you got it cornered, and then it just flees to another corner.

Even though you're using canned instructions, I would recommend reading
http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbtun.html for background.

MCNews had a great article on setting up the DR650, and I hope they do the
DR400 next.  I'd imagine that airbox mods, jetting and needle-clip tweaks
should do it for you, though I wonder if the using a Gixxer muffler would
work as well on the 400 as on the 650 to get better flow w/o the noise.

> It would give me a headache. To unwind the spells cast by the EPA would
> require figuring out how to code a completely new performance profile to
> program the EFI computer. It's probably not flashable anyway, just to
> prevent such shennanigans. And I don't have a personal dynamometer out in
> the shop to do the necessary testing.

DIY EFI with the MicroSquirt is not too hard, but if a reliable, servicible
and resell-able bike is what you want, carb/airbox mods will get you there.
If I can find a suitable throttle body and fuel pump, I expect I'll play
with EFI on one of my old fun bikes.

> The bike is a little over 300lbs and makes in the low 30s horsepower.
> That's a power to weight ratio of a little better than 1:10. That's more
> than adequate to scare anyone with half a brain if you decide to twist
> its tail hard.  8-)

Perfect.  After 8+ bikes I've yet to find a use for more than about 50
hoursepower, but always wanted more clearance, less weight and fewer parts.
The Buell sure does lope along nicely, though.