[FoRK] "Two faces of the Tea Party"

Dave Kammeyer kammeyer at kammeyer.org
Thu Jun 24 12:04:18 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2010, at 1:08 PM, Dave Kammeyer wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Michael Cummins <michael at i-magery.com> wrote:
>>> I'm 40.  The few things I attended were populated with 30-40-50 something's.
>>> I honestly don't expect Social Security to be around when my turn comes, to
>>> be honest.  I doubt I'm alone in this but I'm hardly representative, and I
>>> can understand the resentment from someone who has paid into it their whole
>>> life and then gets the rug pulled out from underneath them.
>>
>> Most of the TP
>
> Problem number one:  there is no "the" TP.  Fucking hell, how many times do we have to cover that?

How do you propose we talk about the TP without using a definite
article?  Given that there's no agreed-upon authority, what we have
left is people who say they support the TP in telephone surveys.

> Problem number two:  NYT?  Really?  You trust the entire research and source chain, on an issue like this, with that particular publication?  Single-sourced?  (Yes, I know, I myself have previously cited this poll before.  But honestly I wouldn't bet on the actual margin of error on any of the points in this poll, if for no other reason than the sample size and the method, cf. the fine print.)

Spare me Jeff, don't you have better things to nitpick?  You think
that a poll sponsored by the NYT is automatically suspect?  The sample
size overall is 1500 and 881 TP supporters.  That should get you in
the ballpark with accuracy if the methodology is good enough.  What
don't you like about it?

Regardless, just look at pictures of a TP rally.  It's a bunch of old codgers.

>> is older than you.  75% of TP is over 45, about 30% is
>> already retirement age. [1]  Very few of the boomers have saved enough
>> for retirement and are depending on SS for retirement.  They're not
>> going to vote for cutting their benefits.  They'll cut their kids
>> benefits if they have to though.
>
> You haven't demonstrated that.

It's just obvious political reality.  Retired people who spend their
SS check and go to their Medicare doctor do not want that cut.
Enlightened self interest.  Do you want me to cite opinion polls to
this effect?

>> there is generally support for
>> the military, and cutting the military budget is generally not
>> something that they support.
>
> Non sequitur (or something, not sure what.)  You cannot draw meaningful conclusions from meaningless givens.

Go to a TP rally and ask people if they want to cancel the F-35, or
stop building aircraft carriers.