[FoRK] "Two faces of the Tea Party"

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Thu Jun 24 13:13:43 PDT 2010

On Jun 24, 2010, at 2:04 PM, Dave Kammeyer wrote:

> How do you propose we talk about the TP

I suggest that you refrain from asserting "fact" about "the" TP --- because there isn't one.  (Do I have to scream this to get through?)  When there *is* one, then you can "study" it statistically  (i.e., assert whatever and whosever manufactured factoids) all you want.  Any generalizations you make at this point are going to be worthless because the standard deviations across all the various constituencies are likely too large when sampled broadly.

You want to "discuss" things about e.g. commonalities, go on the statements of the actual recognized leaders of the various factions.  Their own statements about their own intents are likely much more information-dense than any other bogus data gathering.

> Spare me Jeff, don't you have better things to nitpick?  You think
> that a poll sponsored by the NYT is automatically suspect?  The sample
> size overall is 1500 and 881 TP supporters.  That should get you in
> the ballpark with accuracy if the methodology is good enough.  What
> don't you like about it?
>
> Regardless, just look at pictures of a TP rally.  It's a bunch of old codgers.

Selection bias, any number of other problems, etc.

>> You haven't demonstrated that.
>
> It's just obvious political reality.

Bullshit.  Just because you assert something doesn't make it true.

You are really underwhelming me in this exchange.   You buying the beer next time? ;-)

> Retired people who spend their
> SS check and go to their Medicare doctor do not want that cut.
> Enlightened self interest.  Do you want me to cite opinion polls to
> this effect?

This assumes a false dichotomy:  cut or no cut.  Anyone with a shred of clue knows it's going to be cut;  only a matter of when and how much and to what effect.  Enlightened self interest doesn't consist of choosing between two choices that you get to conveniently pick to support your specious argument.

> Go to a TP rally

I suspect I've rubbed elbows with a few more of these folks than you have.

jb