[FoRK] "Two faces of the Tea Party"

Dave Kammeyer kammeyer at kammeyer.org
Thu Jun 24 14:08:10 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Michael Cummins <michael at i-magery.com> wrote:
>> Dave said:
>
>> Regardless, just look at pictures of a TP rally.  It's a bunch of old
> codgers.
>
> I looked through the photos I took when I was downtown (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
> and they don't look like one (codgery) demographic to me.  (I sure hope I'm
> not a codger)

How many Under-25s do you see in the picture that are not there with
their parents?  I see a lot of white hair in the pictures I can pull
up.

>> Go to a TP rally and ask people if they want to cancel the F-35,
>> or stop building aircraft carriers.
>
> If you highlight some obvious and specific waste (it can't be that hard)
> then I think you'll get some real support.  No, I don't think "stop building
> aircraft carriers" will get much traction in the TP crowd.  What about
> Murtha's airport or the alternate JSF engine?

We have to make up something like 800 billion dollars a year to
balance the budget.  Cutting the JSF alternate engine is 500 million,
and Murtha's airport is 200 million.  New rule: when you're talking
about how to balance the budget, you're not allowed to mention
anything that would make less than a 1% difference in closing the gap.
 Show me some cuts that you are willing to make that will net 50-100
billion and then I know you're serious.

The things that actually make a difference are not things like the
alternate engine for the F-35 at $500 million, even if it's a stupid
thing to spend $500 million on.  It's the F-35 program itself at $400
billion.  Of course it's also making sure that we never have to spend
trillions bailing out banks again.

> If you're quite left of center and want to eliminate wasteful spending in
> the DoD,

I wouldn't call myself quite left of center.  Everyone's for
eliminating waste, but cutting waste doesn't solve the problem, unless
you start defining things like giving medicine to old people "waste."

> you might want to consider laying off the racist teabagger jokes
> and tap into the discontent.  You might find friends in places you least
> expected them to be.

What racist teabagger jokes?  I understand that there are a lot of
pissed off people out there, but they want a set of self-contradictory
facts.