[FoRK] "Two faces of the Tea Party"

Reese howell.r at inkworkswell.com
Thu Jun 24 14:06:50 PDT 2010

On 24-Jun-10 16:52, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> When people talk about slashing the DoD budget, it often appears that they think most of that money goes to new toys and similar.  The reality is that most of it goes to people and that the easiest way to dramatically reduce military spending is to dramatically reduce the number of people they employ and the number of people they need to pay benefits to e.g. the Veteran's Administration. The Federal government can reduce the number of military personnel they deploy any time they choose, as an executive decision to some extent.

How much money do you think has been spent on the F-22 and other
stealth toys that haven't really been needed since oh, 1989? The
Osprey program, or the development, manufacture, and maintenance
of both tactical and ballistic nuclear weapons?

That doesn't even touch on the expense of maintaining overseas
bases or failed programs like SDI. And there is more, I'm sure.
That's just off the top of my head.

Reese