[FoRK] Risk Aversion (was: Extreme Life Extension...)

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Thu Jun 24 14:32:37 PDT 2010

On Jun 24, 2010, at 4:09 PM, John Parsons wrote:

> --- On Thu, 6/24/10, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org>  wrote:
>
>> PS - there is a significant ancillary concern lurking in here.  As various technologies for longevity modulo accident and trauma progress, does society become necessarily unhealthily risk-averse?
>
> IS that the case? Shouldn't the ability to mitigate risk (i.e. longevity tech) lead to riskier behavior?

Not necessarily.

I read years ago (and can no longer source) that the actuarial limit for human lifespan, i.e. absent all effects besides accidental and fatal traumas, is something like 600 years.  I.e., the probability of dying from some unavoidable cause approaches unity by 600 years, even if you eliminate cancer, death, etc. and assume a static amount of risk-seeking / taking, no behavioral changes, etc.

Not a really very good argument, but you get the point hopefully.

There's not much hope of revival if your head is squished.

Not until we get backup and / or replication.  Then, game on. :-)

jb