[FoRK] When Democracy Failed (Why ESR is an "anarchist")

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Thu Jun 24 18:47:47 PDT 2010

On Jun 24, 2010, at 5:49 PM, Russell Turpin wrote:

> The problem is that essay poses one real and spectacularly horrific
> example of a democracy failing against no real anarchies at all. I've
> become more a realist since my youth, and while I'm happy to read
> comparisons between various imagined systems, I think that real
> examples should be contrasted with other real examples.

Feel free to provide one, either positive or negative.

There are some near-anarchies, more or less, in present-day Africa.  I wouldn't take them to be positive examples.

But:  ESR's free to present cautionary tales w/o obligation to provide some counterpoint.  It's not like you haven't "run to the edges" before yourself, Russell. ;-)

jb