[FoRK] "Two faces of the Tea Party"

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Thu Jun 24 20:33:32 PDT 2010

On Jun 24, 2010, at 9:45 PM, Dave Kammeyer wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
>>> And higher taxes, and inflation.  That's what the Tea Party types rail
>>> against, but that is the reality.  Even cutting everything you can
>>> think of, you don't get enough.
>>
>> This is nonsensical.  If you cut everything enough, most of what you've got left is debt service --- and a lot of that is owed *back to the public.*  Roughly-equivalent present tax base, potentially reoriented to free more productive capital, plus an increasing slowdown on tapping NPV discounted future domestic product, plus growth of future product as some of what currently goes to fund entitlements and other fiscal black holes is freed for productive purposes, and you've restored tenability.
>
> It's not.  For FY2009, if you *eliminated* the DoD and stopped paying
> SS entirely (but still kept collecting payroll tax), it would be just
> enough to balance the budget.

Now we introduce artificial constraints.  It has to be done in a year.  Never mind that anything that even *moves* us in the right direction even a little bit is an improvement...

> You can cut the budget so much, but
> eventually there will be people with pitchforks demanding that taxes
> be raised so that they have essential government services.

Yes, I understand your bias.  It's inherent in that phrase:  "essential government services."

Without defining what those are *and* a way to pay for them, your argument is shallow.  And if you were to define such, I suspect we'd see very clearly that axe you're grinding.

The problem with the notion of "essential government services" is this:  under populist democracy and unlimited resource redistribution it expands to include anything anyone feels they need ("essential," "necessary" etc.) but don't want to pay for...  yet, growing, it consumes all available resources and eventually collapses upon itself, leaving everyone with nothing at all for some protracted period of time.

Okay, I'm convinced.  You've convinced me.  Shit, let's not even worry about it.  The government should be allowed to grow, and to borrow, without limit.  I'm sure we can find more pockets to pick.  And I'm sure there will be no consequences.

It's Candy Mountain!  We're going to Candy Mountain, Charlie!

jb