[FoRK] Democracy not Democrazy, was: Re: When Democracy Failed (Why ESR is an "anarchist")

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jun 24 20:42:44 PDT 2010

On 6/24/10 8:27 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
> On Jun 24, 2010, at 10:02 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>

>> On 6/24/10 2:03 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
>>
>>> Excellent points.
>>>
>>>    http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/anarchist.html
>>>

>> That essay seems very shallow: It is certainly good to point out that the public voted in and endorsed all the precursors.  It is weak to disqualify a political system that has clearly worked better than most since inception because another, even if based on the first, fails to remain sane.  The German people of that period, and especially in the Bavarian area where the Nazi party took off, were hyper-religious, still traumatized by WWI, and clearly not stable or sane by any measure.  Easily manipulated and prone to group think and social coercion, they went for anything.  They are the classic case for the need for a culture to be strongly individual, suspicious, and diverse.
>>
>> The US has certainly had pockets of such group think, such as lynchings in the South.  And we certainly had some mildly scary reminiscent-of-Nazi-like precursors during the Bush years.
>>
>> The difference that makes a difference is having enough cultural and legal features and strengths, first amendment etc., to make an actual failure unlikely to happen or grow.  Which isn't to say that you don't wonder about some regions some of the time.
>>
>> A well-designed form of government
>>
> Isn't a democracy, as democracy is code-on-the-fly.
>
> A well-designed form of government is a constitutional republic.
>
> jb

Well, yea, that's the variety of democracy that I meant.  And some of it
is code-on-the-fly.  A constitution with real teeth and an excellent
starter set of amendments seems to be the key to bounding the dangerous
hacking for the most part.

It is sad that we don't have a much more strong and clear program of
education-of-modern-government-and-functioning-societies that we push
strongly on any country we can, especially those we are now running.  It
doesn't have to be pro-US, just pro-1st world, pro-modern, pro-science,
pro-sanity, and anti-everything else.  Just teaching people how all
kinds of issues are handled and resolved in a functioning society would
go a long way toward stamping out barbarism.  To the extent we are not
causing this to happen pervasively, we're just breeding more problems
for the future.