[FoRK] Democracy not Democrazy, was: Re: When Democracy Failed (Why ESR is an "anarchist")

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Thu Jun 24 21:06:13 PDT 2010

On Jun 24, 2010, at 10:27 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2010, at 10:02 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>
>> On 6/24/10 2:03 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
>>> Excellent points.
>>>
>>>  http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/anarchist.html
>>>

>> That essay seems very shallow: It is certainly good to point out that the public voted in and endorsed all the precursors.  It is weak to disqualify a political system that has clearly worked better than most since inception because another,

I dissent.

That it has "clearly worked better than most since inception" is by no means universally acknowledged without further definition and context, and particularly does not disqualify discussion of its failures and speculation about superior and more failure-resistant forms.

Other examples of democratic fail:  though corruption and election-rigging are rampant in the region, democracy has also in numerous cases, through over-empowered populism combined with very weak constitutional protections, resulted in "popular" dictatorships coming into power in Central and South America.  (The rigging usually happens later when the people, but not the establishment, have had enough.)

Works great.  Can't possibly be improved upon.

Uh huh.

Give me a reasonable constitution and you don't need much else.

jb