[FoRK] Reducing defense spending

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Fri Jun 25 08:00:05 PDT 2010

On Jun 25, 2010, at 9:45 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 09:40:17AM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:
>
>> Fight differently.
>
> Cost-effectively, for instance. Everything else is a self
> denial of service.

+1

> P.S. The Empire never ended.

Yeah, and that's perhaps the counterpoint.  mdw's not wrong given his assumptions:  as long as occupation remains a central part of the plan for any conflict, you can't really improve the cost efficiency because the most costly and ineffective elements remain central to it.  And as long as there are would-be hegemons, then we've got a problem.  Both the Afghan conflict and the totally unnecessary Iraq conflict would be over if not for the Imperial neocon nation-building / empire-augmenting delusion.

jb