[FoRK] Reducing defense spending

mdw at martinwills.com mdw at martinwills.com
Fri Jun 25 08:31:16 PDT 2010

> On Jun 25, 2010, at 9:09, mdw at martinwills.com wrote:
>

>> Jeff,
>>  You obviously have never had any military training.  Aircraft can not
>> hold territory, bodies in the wadies do.  Tanks do not hold territory.
>> Bodies do.  Artillery does not hold territory. Bodies do.  Until there
>> is a body holding onto a piece of ground, it isn't worth having or
>> fighting over.
>
> Obviously you are too mired in the Napoleonic mindset to think outside
> that box.  Few wars in the last several decades have had as their
> ostensible goal "holding ground.". Fewer still are likely to be about
> that in the future.  In fact, it is falling into that cognitive trap
> that gets us into endless no-exit scenarios that cost terabucks.
>
> More surgical disruption of social / political / ideological networks,
> less occupation.  Coupled with real strategic use of weapons and
> incentives-setting, and you need far fewer bodies in the wadies.
>
> Too, most but not all local kill is increasingly automatable --- and,
> at the end of the day, that's the kind of weapon a soldier is.  You
> need boots in the theater for human interaction, but grunts generally
> make poor diplomats and spies.
>
> Indispensable yes.  Way overused to little effect, yes.  As long as we
> engage enemies on their terms in these ways, we choose to discard most
> of our advantage.
>
> Fight differently.
>
> jb

Obviously you are too mired in your own self-importance and incredible
lack of common sense to realize you are full of sh*t.  Please don't make
comments about things you are completely and totally unqualified to speak
about.  I am tired of your self-important drivel taken from your
sphincter.  I have military training, I am an instrument rated pilot, I am
an Officer in the Armed Forces. You know nothing about warfare and I am
calling you out on your total incompetence in speaking about matters where
you are unwanted and unqualified to to offer your pubescent beliefs.
Remember: "It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought the fool,
then to open it, and remove all doubt.".  Silence is golden, shut up and
get rich.

Regards,
Martin