[FoRK] Reducing defense spending

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Fri Jun 25 09:59:06 PDT 2010

On Jun 25, 2010, at 10:31 AM, mdw at martinwills.com wrote:

> Obviously you are too mired in your own self-importance and incredible
> lack of common sense to realize you are full of sh*t.  Please don't make
> comments about things you are completely and totally unqualified to speak
> about.  I am tired of your self-important drivel taken from your
> sphincter.  I have military training, I am an instrument rated pilot, I am
> an Officer in the Armed Forces. You know nothing about warfare and I am
> calling you out on your total incompetence in speaking about matters where
> you are unwanted and unqualified to to offer your pubescent beliefs.
> Remember: "It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought the fool,
> then to open it, and remove all doubt.".  Silence is golden, shut up and
> get rich.

BTW, your little outburst would seem to say far more about you (cf. "self-importance", "drivel," "sphincter";  cross-ref "argument from authority") than it does me.  The only "pubescent" behavior I've seen here is that paragraph quoted above.  You spout initially spout some pat "common sense" from some supposed position of authority and then get all huffy when somebody challenges you to think in a broader context, to question your premises.  If you'd bothered to actually read what I said, you'd note that I actually acknowledged the correctness of your assertion *given your apparent assumptions.*  It's the assumptions --- the tenability of occupation in almost any case --- that I question.  Those assumptions have managed to get us into a lot of trouble at great cost in the previous decade.

How about engaging folks on the basis of content?  That really too much to ask?  I attempt to do that --- don't always succeed, but at least I make the attempt.  Is it possible to do that without the above sort of abuse?  I mean, I'm all for abuse, but I don't know you well enough (i.e., at all) to be comfortable calling you a fucktard yet. ;-)

jb

PS - for your record:  USAF brat, dad was a Vietnam era fighter pilot and later instructor;  also a player of games who taught me a lot through constant challenge.  I grew up barely realizing that you could shop anywhere but the commissary and PX;  AFROTC scholarship (opted over Air Force Academy, an even better NROTC scholarship, and Naval Academy out of some misplaced family legacy loyalty, then abandoned.  One of my few semi-regrets.  Or maybe several.  Annapolis would have been the right choice.)  I'm the first male in my family in three generations not to have ever been active military.  Spent most weekends in my teens in tow planes and sailplanes.  (Don't like the odds these days, stick to commercial mostly, safest travel on the planet even if it's the most annoying. ;-)  I've had retired top brass and top-level intel agency heads on the boards of companies I've started, and a good friend that's the founder of a major defense contractor, numerous other friends and former colleagues at various levels of a variety of defense agencies and contractors.  And I read the lit, what may be available.

Probably better-schooled in the relevant material than many if not most folks that graduate OTS / OCS;  the military theory and history section of the home library would probably blow your mind.  Think / talk about this stuff for fun, including these little exchanges modulo swatting away mosquitoes like this.  So I've got a little context, maybe not as much as you but more than the average civ, I'd guess with some confidence.  At least enough to have a reasonable conversation without, presumably, being subject to bullshit like the above.

You're an officer;  I acknowledge and respect that if true, didn't know --- though most real military folks I know have a lot more composure than you've demonstrated above.  Nothing but respect for those who serve.  But doesn't matter.  If you can't have a civil discussion that runs counter to your apparently immutable assumptions, you're not much of a gentleman.  Maybe we could reset and you could demonstrate a little of that composure, and we could have an interesting time playing what-if...?

How's that work for you, Sir?