[FoRK] Reducing defense spending

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Fri Jun 25 14:15:47 PDT 2010

--- On Fri, 6/25/10, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2010, at 12:48 PM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
>
> > Circular argument. Among the reasons you are in
> Afghanistan and Iraq is to protect the civs from thier
> oppressors because they can't do it themselves. Yeah, we all
> know it's a bullshit rationalization -- that that's the
> reason you are there. But we also know it's generally the
> truth -- they can't.
>
> Ahmad Massoud might beg to differ.  Had we done right
> by him, things might be very different today.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda...

> Let's be more careful about how we define our goals;
> choose them in such a way that we avoid creating certain
> situations.

+10

> > Of course. But it doesn't matter. Even if you are not
> planning to Occupy, even if you simply want to chase the
> baddies out or help the locals chase them out it doesn't
> work.
>
> Really?
>
> You've heard of this little non-conflict called the "Cold
> War" I assume.

Duh! I'm 63.

> I'm saying, we potentially have even better means for
> handling things like that today.

It was M.A.D.

We don't have M.A.D. today. Your politicians "know" that nobody can seriously oppose you. They constantly brag about you guys being the Last Remaining SuperPower. Nuthin' to slow you down now.

What's the alternative now?

You've already tried arming and buying those you thought you could turn into allies. They just turned around and started using the weapons and training to shoot at you.

> The thing that puzzles me is this:  after the first
> Gulf War, we seemed to reacquire the taste for large
> theatrical war.  It's as if a generation of folks
> retired and *that's* how we unlearned all the lessons of
> Vietnam...

That, and becoming the Last Great SuperPower. Creates obligations, you know. Especially when you have as strong a religious fundamentalist leaning and as strong a conviction of the Rightness of The American Way as those other guys. Gotta bring "democracy" and "human rights" -- as we understand them, of course -- to the heathens.

I hate fucking missionaries. They scare the crap out of me. Bad enough when they're an ocean or two away. Worse when they live right next door.

       ...ken...