[FoRK] "A budget deal that reduced the deficit"

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Fri Jun 25 19:09:47 PDT 2010

On Jun 25, 2010, at 8:51 PM, Russell Turpin wrote:

> Then, a good measure of tea partier seriousness would be to hear some
> of their popular politicians or prominent representatives say where
> they would do *that*. Or if they refuse, and want to do it 100% by
> cutting spending, then let's hear them advocate for the elimination of
> Medicare, which is the most fiscally problematic of the entitlement
> programs.

Put yourself in their position.

You *know* the above ("most fiscally problematic") to be true.  You also *know* that, one way or the other, the entitlement programs cannot be continued as-is.  You have some momentum and grass-roots support, never mind that the proles don't quite understand what they're following yet.  The goals are fuzzy but getting clearer;  the implications haven't dawned on them yet.

Why in the world would you be stupid enough to lead with the bad news?  Paint a target on your back that would have EVERY side of the establishment sniping at you simultaneously, immediately and ceaselessly?  That make sense to you?

Seriously.  You would damn some hypothetical would-be-reformist for having the good sense to not undermine his chances of getting there in the first place?

I'm not much of a politician, but this is obvious even to *me.*

jb