[FoRK] "A budget deal that reduced the deficit"

Russell Turpin russell.turpin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 19:45:18 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
> You *know* the above ("most fiscally problematic") to be true.  You
> also *know* that, one way or the other, the entitlement programs
> cannot be continued as-is. .. Why in the world would you be stupid
> enough to lead with the bad news? ...

Here's the thing. There ARE politicians who have spoken about "bending
the cost curve" on Medicare, and even about what it will take to do
that. It's not as if that isn't a topic of political discussion. They
just happen to be the politicians the tea partiers hate. The
politicians most associated with the tea parties -- Palin and Bachmann
-- haven't just shied away from that. They instead have eagerly and
dishonestly wielded that as a political axe.

DEATH PANELS!

NAZIS!

That's not leading people to the issue gradually. That's poisoning the
discussion.

Far from being the group moving the political debate to discussion of
such issues, from what I can see, the tea parties are the political
faction now furthest from it and most resistant to it. And the
politicians they favor most are feeding from that avoidance, taking
political advantage of it, to the detriment of any such discussion.