[FoRK] "A budget deal that reduced the deficit"

Russell Turpin russell.turpin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 03:33:16 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
> .. That you completely ignore the numerous examples I've provided
> where faction heads specifically reject the social conservative line
> baffles me. ...

We were discussing deficits and Medicare. I pointed out what Bachmann
and Palin had to say about those subjects, specifically, without any
reference to social conservatism.

It's plausible to say that the tea parties are focused on financial
issues. It's NOT reasonable to say "ignore Palin and Bachmann when
discussing the tea parties." By all accounts, those are two of the
most popular politicians among tea partiers, and frequently get
invited to tea party events. So it only makes sense to look to them,
when trying to figure out what the tea parties are about. And it's not
like those two are rational deficit hawks who just happen to be
batshit crazy on every other topic. Those two also are batshit crazy
on budget matters also.

I'd love to believe that the tea parties are composed of people who
"reject the social conservative line," whose first concern lies in
balancing the budget, so that they're interested (if not yet
politically open) in discussing ways to cut back Medicare
over-utilization, inching up federal revenue, etc. But yeah, if that
turns out to be the case, I'll be surprised.