[FoRK] "Two faces of the Tea Party"

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Sun Jun 27 02:36:21 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 12:50 PM, J. Andrew Rogers <
andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:

> As it happens, yes I think the JSF program is a boondoggle. At the end of
> the day it is a jack-of-all-trades export version of the F-22 with some of
> the advanced technology removed. They wrapped several unrelated requirements
> into a single platform.

This is wrong. The F-22 is clearly designed as an air superiority weapon - a
fighter, while  he F-35 is intended as a more multirole weapon - a
fighter-bomber,  replacing F-16, A-10 etc etc etc, which is a statement in
of itself. When anyone looks at the F-35, do they see an A-10 AND an F-16?

Its hard to see how the F-35 can perform all those roles well, in particular
the CAS role of the A-10, but then maybe the A-10 has been supplanted by
systems such as GMLRS and other precision strike artillery. Certainly, it
doesnt make sense to have 500kg warheads being carried around by 140 million
semi-stealthly aircraft when they can be lobbed just as effectively by 0.7
million rockets with no stealth requirements.