[FoRK] Texas State Republican Party Platform - Texas Taliban

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Jun 27 08:56:35 PDT 2010

On 6/27/10 5:16 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Yeah, Stephen, we know.  More guilt by association, geographic this
> time.  Texas is filled with nothing but nutty rednecks.

No, there are plenty of people who are more sane in Texas.  Just wish
they had the upper hand a little more often.  I mean, like outside of
Austin.

> (Do you think that anyone here seriously thought the Texas GOP was
> sane?  After the textbook debacle?)

Too much polite silence I think.

> Focus on facts, not fringe.  Or, economics trumps BS.
>

> http://athousandnations.com/2010/06/18/in-the-u-s-when-people-vote-with-their-feet/

According to the US Census Bureau[1][2], LA County gained 328,680 people
in from 2000-2009 while Travis County, TX gained 213874.  It's a much
higher percentage, but only 2/3rds of the people "voting with their
feet" as LA County.  LA County is 4 times as big and much more dense,
but in terms of draw+growth, larger in absolute terms.  Considering just
cost of living pressure, density, births, immigration, and school output
(universities, entertainment industries, various kinds of manufacturing)
you would expect a lot of people to be moving away all the time.
Probably a good way to measure the strength of an area is how many
people it is able to export to other areas of the country, i.e. is it a
generator of skilled, capable workers and citizens or a sink or stagnant
pool?  NYC, Chicago, DC Metro, LA, SF Bay Area, and others like
Columbus, Ohio, Pittsburgh, etc. would excel there.  You could interpret
that graph as LA fueling the growth of many other areas by producing
people who were valuable enough to get jobs significant enough to afford
a move.

It is interesting that few people leave Austin.  On my visits there, I
found it nice, but it didn't seem as attractive as some other areas to me.

[1] http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/06037.html
[2] http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/48/48453.html