[FoRK] Privacy? Obama doesn't think so...

Russell Turpin russell.turpin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 12:00:59 PDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
> Honestly:  if this had come out of the Bush administration, what would you
> have said?

Obama has been a large disappointment on the civil liberties front. I
think I've posted some articles on FoRK about some of the issues. This
shows also in his choice of judicial nominees. I put this up a couple
of days ago:

http://rturpin.wordpress.com/2010/06/25/bruce-fein-on-kagan/

And yeah, the civil liberties complaints go less heard under a
Democratic president. The Republicans don't care, and the Democrats
figure their guy at least isn't as bad as the other guy would have
been. Feh.

The ID problem is a hard one, and a large part of it we do to
ourselves, for the sake of convenience. The government doesn't have to
track my purchases, because the credit card companies do. It's more
convenient than cash. Which will become used less and less, not
because Big Brother requires it, but because we'll start to see
vendors move to all-digital transactions. At some point, the card
companies will provide free transfers between individuals. As easy as
pushing some keys on your cell phone. And cash will start to look
suspicious.

And yeah, that's scary.

Yet here I am, making virtually every purchase by credit card.