[FoRK] Privacy? Obama doesn't think so...

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Jun 27 12:26:48 PDT 2010

On 6/27/10 12:00 PM, Russell Turpin wrote:
> The ID problem is a hard one, and a large part of it we do to
> ourselves, for the sake of convenience. The government doesn't have to
> track my purchases, because the credit card companies do. It's more
> convenient than cash. Which will become used less and less, not
> because Big Brother requires it, but because we'll start to see
> vendors move to all-digital transactions. At some point, the card
> companies will provide free transfers between individuals. As easy as
> pushing some keys on your cell phone. And cash will start to look
> suspicious.
>
> And yeah, that's scary.

I would be much happier if we were protected from adverse affects of
doing anything innocuous.  If someone give me a hard time for doing
anything I'm perfectly allowed to do, they're going to get major push back.

I noticed at the CVS pharmacy yesterday that they have a whole set of
debit cards for everything.  Transferring money into those apparently is
a big business.  As long as you can get one with cash, it shouldn't be
too hard to have at least a little island of anonymity.
> Yet here I am, making virtually every purchase by credit card.

It is a problem, but it comes with some benefits.  Harder to get robbed
in non-reversible ways, etc.