[FoRK] Privacy? Obama doesn't think so...

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Jun 27 12:30:43 PDT 2010

On 6/27/10 10:50 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Stephen says "eh."

Technically, I said: "Maybe 'eh', maybe 'Oh no!'.  What was proposed in
that document by the administration could be nothing but good, depending
on integrity of implementation.

> Russell sighs fatalistically. (Probably justifiably so.)
>
> Honestly:  if this had come out of the Bush administration, what would
> you have said?
>
> I for one am confident my response would have been exactly the same,
> s/Obama/Bush.

If it were written exactly the same as that, which it wouldn't have
been, then I would have said the same thing.  That administration could
not resist leaving hooks for hacking from the inside everywhere.  Plenty
of red flags at every step.

> Several of the rest of you, pretty sure otherwise.
>
> File under "where's the outrage?" v2.0.

This is definitely an area to be vigilant about.  The Patriot Act was a
shocker in several ways.  No need to extend that too much more.