[FoRK] "Many faces of the Tea Party"

Reese howell.r at inkworkswell.com
Mon Jun 28 16:32:20 PDT 2010

On 28-Jun-10 18:03, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2010, at 2:30 PM, Reese wrote:
>>>
>>> Think more like an externally attachable and fully stealthed bomb bay. The bombs would be completely enclosed in a structure composed of the same design and material as the rest of the aircraft. For all intents and purposes, the bombs would be carried internally. The major downside is loss of maneuverability.
>>
>> Uhm, what?
>
> What is confusing?  To the external hardpoints where you would typically attach a bomb, you attach a stealthy pod.  The bombs are carried inside the pods attached to the external hardpoints. It is like a detachable version of their internal weapons bays. They've also looked at using disposable shrouds as well.

What is confusing? Fly that supersonically. Show the need for it, first.

>>> The Navy railgun is spec-ed to eventually deliver 64 MJ of kinetic energy over long range and requires a destroyer to house the infrastructure.
>>>
>>> The Army missile is spec-ed to eventually deliver 10 MJ of kinetic energy over short range and weighs 50 pounds.
>>
>> Uhm, cite?
>
> Geez, you aren't trying very hard.

No I wasn't, not at the point where I responded to this, no. See other
email for why.

>> From Wikipedia on railguns:
>
> "The United States Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren Division demonstrated an 8 MJ rail gun firing 3.2 kg projectiles in October 2006 as a prototype of a 64 MJ weapon to be deployed aboard Navy warships... Since then, BAE Systems has delivered a 32 MJ prototype to the Navy.[14]"
>

>> From Wikipedia on CKEM (the field testing prototype for the eventual Army deliverable):
>
> "
> Max range: 10,000 m
> Max weight: 45kg
> Velocity: 6.5+ Mach
> Penetrator energy: 10MJ
> "
>
> The Army deliverable will substantially reduce range to meet the target weight.

Alright, there's been a demo. And larger is planned for the future.

If this can be distilled down to a single question? Why are we investing
so heavily in rail guns, especially space-based rail guns, if the
Osprey is so vital to controlling the ground (and putting the boots
upon it).

The single question for the rest of the list: Where's my flying car, dude?

Reese