[FoRK] The bee sting theory of poverty

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Jun 28 19:52:40 PDT 2010

On 6/28/10 6:58 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
> On Jun 28, 2010, at 20:21, "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>
>> On 6/28/10 10:25 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:
>>> I've mentioned Karelis' book before in conjunction with the
>>> assertion that it's easy to demonstrate the fallacy of diminishing
>>> marginal utility and to illustrate the existence of *different kinds
>>> of utility.*  It appears that this somewhat fringe little book is
>>> gaining some popular attention.
>>>

>>> http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2008/03/30/the_sting_of_poverty/?page=full
>>>

>>> I just hope that folks see the flaw;  Karelis fails to connect his
>>> premises and intermediate conclusions, with which I agree with
>>> completely and find beautiful and elegant (even if he is even less
>>> quantitative than Keynes)
>>
>> Which do you agree with completely?
>
> Old post, go fish.

Don't remember? ;-)

>>> with his ultimate conclusions apropos policy implications, with
>>> which I almost completely disagree.
>>>

>> The conclusion that people need a baseline of living conditions to
>> get in a rational and productive frame of mind seems reasonable.
>
> Until you start attempting to define baseline or come up with
> practical mechanisms, then it becomes nonsense.

Exercise for the reader.  Or are you declaring it impossible to define?
I've already outlined a lot of elements and don't wish to be redundant.
How about, relative to Karelis' book: Enough of a baseline to resolve
people's "problems"?
Seems like these should be a good start:

    * Clean, safe, & functional living space
    * Food
    * Basic business and exercise acceptable clothing
    * Health care
    * An education past high school
    * Internet
    * Outdoor play / exercise space (parks, trails, sidewalks)