[FoRK] The bee sting theory of poverty

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Jun 28 22:10:58 PDT 2010

On Jun 28, 2010, at 21:52, "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> Don't remember? ;-)

Me, or you?  I remember perfectly.

If you don't remember, try the exobrain?

It was during some diffuse discussion of DMU, oh, last coupla years.
Touched on again earlier this year in my attempt to produce a
reasonable definition of progress.  Referenced tangentially off and on.

The first post about this book was a detailed review of the book and
its argument.

To be fair:  I can't seem to find via google either and no longer
maintain a local archive.  Sorry.

Trust me, though.  His argument is simple, elegant, beautifully
stated, and utterly devastating to the Golden Calf of progressives,
diminishing marginal utility.

Then he goes all non-sequitur, attempting to rationalize his own
progressiveness in light of his insight.

Nonetheless, I loved the book for the clarity of his initial arguments.

> Exercise for the reader.  Or are you declaring it impossible to
> define?

We've already done this exercise, as Russell has kindly reminded us.
I still think it's - that is, what you have presented on the topic -
utter nonsense.

No sense in rehashing, either.

>   * Basic business and exercise acceptable clothing

Oh, and KHAKIS!  Gov't Spandex and khakis for everybody!

Seriously.

>   * Health care
>   * An education past high school

And a pony.

>   * Internet

And an Xbox 360.

>   * Outdoor play / exercise space (parks, trails, sidewalks)

With dinosaurs.

All for free!  Yippee!

jb