[FoRK] The bee sting theory of poverty

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Jun 28 22:53:27 PDT 2010

On Jun 28, 2010, at 11:43 PM, "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

>   In other words, proper participants could expect that the baseline could be obtained with a reasonable subset of their income and time in that community.

I do notice an interesting new angle in your attempt to make sense of nonsense, here.

"Reasonable subset." Mmm hmm.  Who gets to decide what's reasonable, here?  Again, no reasonable preference-aggregating decision process is possible in the general case.  Only fully distributed ones work, but that won't satisfy you.

> And it isn't the Gov't providing this stuff, necessarily or preferentially.

Who then gets to reallocate resources to ensure your "reasonable subset" condition is satisfied?

If it walks like a duck...

Now, really, I'm done beating this dead horse.  Read the book, or not.

> My point with that wording is that, as a baseline, people need clothes for at least:
>
>   * General protection from the elements / modesty
>   * Working / school formalities / uniforms
>   * Misc. which includes exercise/sports-compatible clothing.

The latter just underscores the ludicrousness of this discussion.

jb