[FoRK] The bee sting theory of poverty

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Jun 28 23:30:13 PDT 2010

On 6/28/10 10:30 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
> On Jun 28, 2010, at 23:43, "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> Micro-condensed version:  arbitrary, subjective, culture-bound,
> bias-ridden, subjective.  Necessarily.  Forever, under the constraint
> of finite resources and homo sapiens sapiens.

Not arbitrary: based on known minimum good practices.
Culture-bound?  Too bad.  Screw your burkas and the camel you road in on.

> And your example is just silly.  Workout clothes?  Is this a Kids in
> the Hall sketch?
>
> Further, under that constraint, there is no Pareto efficient means of
> supplying "the list" to everyone at any given time, whatever the list
> might be at the time. Can't be.

You're saying that some will just have to go without the basics, even
though we have a surplus of land, food, and cheap manufactured goods?

> Finally, there is no decision process by which consensus on such a
> list might be arrived at generally.  Can't be.

And we'll never agree on what schools should teach.  (Oh, we have,
except someone keeps trying to hack it in Texas.)
And we'll never agree on what is healthy.  (Oh, we have for the most
part and keep improving.)
Etc.
Never complete or correct, but more complete and more correct.