[FoRK] Randal A. Koene on Realistic Routes to Substrate Independent Minds, Teleplace, July 17, 10am PST

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Jul 4 09:24:50 PDT 2010

----- Forwarded message from Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com> -----

From: Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 12:32:25 +0200
To: cosmic-engineers at googlegroups.com, turingchurch at googlegroups.com,
	ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>,
	extrobritannia at yahoogroups.com,
	euro-transhumanists at googlegroups.com, transumanisti at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Randal A. Koene on Realistic Routes to Substrate Independent Minds,
	Teleplace, July 17, 10am PST

Randal A. Koene will give a talk in Teleplace on July 17, 2010, at
10am PST (1pm EST, 6pm UK, 7pm CET).
http://telexlr8.wordpress.com/2010/07/04/randal-a-koene-on-realistic-routes-to-substrate-independent-minds-teleplace-july-17-10am-pst/
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=136364963049075

Realistic Routes to Substrate Independent Minds
Randal A. Koene – carboncopies.org

Take as a given that the Church-Turing thesis applies to human
thinking, that our minds are complex machines, but machines
nonetheless. Let us also assume that we already understand many of the
scientific, societal and even evolutionary pressures – as described in
several of my previous talks – that underscore the need to augment our
minds with the capabilities of machine intelligence and the
adaptability to operate in computational substrates other than those
of the cerebral neurophysiology. What do we know about the possible
target substrates and the procedures that may achieve a transition to
such substrates? Which are the primary remaining scientific
challenges, and which are the engineering hurdles to be overcome? At
carboncopies.org, we are taking steps to identify and formulate
rational approaches to these problems. For example, on one end of the
spectrum we investigate feasible and careful ways to accomplish
subject-specific data acquisition and whole brain emulation, while on
the other we lend support to proposals for commercially viable
developments in cognitive augmentation. We actively encourage peer
review through publications and events such as the workshop on
Advancing Substrate Independent Minds (ASIM-2010) in San Francisco,
August 16-17, 2010.

Those who already have Teleplace accounts for teleXLR8 can just ahow
up at the talk. There are a limited number of seats available for
others, please contact me if you wish to attend.

----- End forwarded message -----