[FoRK] Computer for College Student

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jul 29 15:09:17 PDT 2010

Hi Jeff!

Get a MacBook, possibly a Pro, but not necessarily the best for a first
year college student unless she's unusually responsible and
party-computer-foul resistent.  Can't beat battery life, virus/etc.
resistance, easy of backup / upgrade / local Apple Store maintenance.
You can run VMWare Fusion for Windows / Linux as needed.  A good MacBook
Pro is plenty powerful.  If you want to really deck out the set up,
forgo a TV (maybe) and buy an HP LP3065 30" external monitor.  Can be
driven, with an active cable, from all current Macs (or at least all Pro
models).  Can't be beat, and has 3 inputs.  You can get refurb units
with no bad pixels for about $1000.

The great thing about a desktop is that it is unlikely to be stolen.
The MacBook, more of an issue.  For sync, set up a cloud storage account
and keep the two computers in sync with it.  This can be a combination
of a shared partition or replicated directories.  Have a portable drive,
kept in the dresser or something, per system to plug into once a week
for full bootable backup via Carbon Copy Pro or better.  (This basically
does a versioned rsync to a drive that is bootable just by plugging into
a Mac and booting with 'Option' held down.)

If theft or carelessness is a problem, get a iPad or netbook or cheap
laptop to carry to class / library / home.  Either find long battery
life or get a laptop with removable batteries, although college students
don't seem to want to mess with that.

There is at least one good product for tracking and trying to recover
stolen Mac laptops etc.  These are probably worth it.  Many things get
stolen, lost, or broken at college.  Just plan for it.  Used cell phones
aren't a bad solution for the chronically careless, except check the ESN
with the carrier to make sure it isn't stolen before purchase.  I just
created a working cell phone out of 3 dead ones and shipped it overnight
to my daughter.

Why not a PC?  Short battery life, hard / expensive / slow to get fixed,
Windows is not time effective (virus problems, chronic slow downs for
most anti-virus software, updates, etc.) for anyone who isn't a
self-supported IT pro, etc.  Even if she hasn't used a Mac, it is worth
it overall.  You can buy in-person in-store instruction from Apple for
something like $100/yr.  My daughter never used it once however.  She's
maybe asked me about 3 questions in a year.

If you do go for a PC, consider Ubuntu, with Windows in a VM that is
restorable perhaps.

Stephen