[FoRK] Stock manipulation too cool for kindergarten

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Sat Jul 31 22:25:09 PDT 2010

Rob Harley wrote on 7/31/2010 8:33 PM:
> Heads up: Zerohedge is such clueless garbage that linking to it nukes
> any cred you might have had (not that you had any).

Yea, it's fringe... and? If you have a better source of people watching
wall street, I'd love to see it. CNN? NYTimes? BBC? Yea, right... Oh
wait, maybe you mean CNBC, hahahahahahahahhahahahahaha.

> Algos as dumb as those illustrated quickly get traded ahead of by
> not-so-dumb ones.
> Dumb ones can persist nevertheless due to the "two" in
> "two-and-twenty", for while anyway.

Of course only the dumbest ones are acting this regularly and slowly,
and get themselves killed off in a hurry. But the smart ones are no less
manipulative. And if you can't DDoS the hell out of everyone elses
queues, why even play? This isn't a game of tiddlywinks.

The risk that seems to be coming to fruition rapidly, is that all the
humans will realize they don't stand a chance. Leaving nothing but the
algos to trade among themselves, without the flow of widows and orphans
to drain. Since the stock market is zero sum, that's killing the golden
goose because for Goldman to run off with 100M/day, some sucker has to
put in 100M plus fees of course. Good thing we invented the 401k and
automatic deductions right from the paycheck.

Doesn't take too many cycles of bonuses equaling (or more) taxpayer
bailouts to wake up the sheep. Luckily American stupidity is infinite,
and the press won't tell them about it.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/