[FoRK] On the unreality of bottom-up brain simulation

Jebadiah Moore jebdm at jebdm.net
Tue Aug 17 09:45:37 PDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Russell Turpin <russell.turpin at gmail.com>wrote:

> P Z Myers criticizing Ray Kurzweil:
>

> http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/08/ray_kurzweil_does_not_understa.php

He's right that Kurzweil a) doesn't understand the brain and b) has grossly
underestimated how long such tech would take to develop/how much space it
would take to store all the information necessary/what information is
necessary.

But I don't think that he makes a good argument that bottom-up brain
simulation is infeasible; after all, the universe computes the brain without
"understanding" what proteins do.  In principle, it still seems that if we
understood the chemistry well enough, we could simulate the mofo without
really grokking it, but we're not even at that level of understanding yet,
and certainly not at that level of computing power.

--
Jebadiah Moore
http://blog.jebdm.net