[FoRK] On the unreality of bottom-up brain simulation

Jebadiah Moore jebdm at jebdm.net
Tue Aug 17 10:20:12 PDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Russell Turpin
<russell.turpin at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Jebadiah Moore <jebdm at jebdm.net> wrote:
> > But I don't think that he makes a good argument that bottom-up brain
> > simulation is infeasible....
>
> Feasibility, as measured against current and soon technology, not in
> some theoretical sense. The claim is only a) that it is a lot harder
> than credited by some futurists, and b) that the difficulty isn't well
> measured by the number of the genes that are used for brain
> development.

I agree with what you're saying, but he also was saying that you couldn't do
bottom-up brain simulation without understanding all of the complex
interactions between proteins and whatnot, which isn't true so long as you
simulate whatever causes those interactions to happen.

--
Jebadiah Moore
http://blog.jebdm.net