[FoRK] On the unreality of bottom-up brain simulation

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Tue Aug 17 10:41:35 PDT 2010

On Aug 17, 2010, at 10:20 AM, Jebadiah Moore wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Russell Turpin
> <russell.turpin at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Jebadiah Moore <jebdm at jebdm.net> wrote:
>>> But I don't think that he makes a good argument that bottom-up brain
>>> simulation is infeasible....
>>
>> Feasibility, as measured against current and soon technology, not in
>> some theoretical sense. The claim is only a) that it is a lot harder
>> than credited by some futurists, and b) that the difficulty isn't well
>> measured by the number of the genes that are used for brain
>> development.
>

> I agree with what you're saying, but he also was saying that you couldn't do
> bottom-up brain simulation without understanding all of the complex
> interactions between proteins and whatnot, which isn't true so long as you
> simulate whatever causes those interactions to happen.

Hmm, that sounds a lot like Wolfram's definition of "computationally irreducible":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_irreducibility

If the brain is computationally reducible, then we can simulate it using shortcuts.  If it isn't, then we would need to actually understand -everything-.

Right?