[FoRK] "Welcome, Big Brother"

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Aug 25 11:24:37 PDT 2010

  On 8/25/10 10:40 AM, Reese wrote:
> On 25 Aug 10 11:56 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>>
>> On 8/24/10 5:43 PM, Russell Turpin wrote:
>>> I can't believe no one has posted this yet:
>>>
>>> http://www.fastcompany.com/1683302/iris-scanners-create-the-most-secure-city-in-the-world-welcomes-big-brother
>
> Two mentions of "Minority Report", no mentions of Simon Phoenix.
>
>> Soon, we'll have autonomous mobile robots as avatars anyway. And of all
>> sizes, from slinky cat/monkeys to full-size.
>
> I'd rather the flying car that was promised to my parents, than live in
> a cave. No matter how high-tech the cave is.

Different scale and purpose.  And we won't be in a cave, we'll just be in multiple places at the same time.  Some will single task,
others will multi-task to various degrees with various levels of intelligent autonomous tech.  Hiking, laying on a beach, scuba
diving, whatever.

We'll have flying cars when we have both universally automated ground and air cars.  Until then, it'll only be for actual pilots and
too expensive with too many restrictions.  The main thing to solve: Have to be able to take off and land almost anywhere, either on
any straight stretch of street like a plane, or anywhere vertically like a helicopter.  The latter uses a lot more energy.  In any
case, the stretch-of-street access won't happen until all vehicles are pretty much automated so that they can coordinate safely.
The good thing with that is finally dropping the fake, stupid speed limits on highways that we have now.  Taking an automated trip
at 150mph on the ground will approach flying car convenience for many, at least for popular paths like SF-SJ-LA-SD/LV/Tahoe.

sdw