[FoRK] A note about "baby proofing"

Corinna Schultz corinna.schultz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 14:57:18 PDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> Those outlet plugs?  Come on...  My dad just gave me 2 butter knives and
> watched while I learned what electricity wasn't for.

I put heavy, clear packing tape over the outlets we didn't use. My son
quickly found that they were utterly uninteresting, and my daughter never
even noticed them, as far as I can tell.

When my son (the hyper, active kid in the family) was a toddler, we lived in
a little 2-bedroom apartment, and the living room was also the playroom. As
I recall, he was 2 when my husband decided that it would be a good idea to
clamp a 2x4 to the beat up coffee table we had, and buy a small handsaw for
my son to play with. My son was already enamoured of screwdrivers, motors,
magnets, wires, and scraps of various kinds (by the time he was 4 or so, he
loved going to Home Depot so he could crawl on the floor looking for odd
screws and things) so we thought what the hell. Amazingly enough, my son
never used the saw on anything other than the 2x4 (it was a proud moment
when he finally managed to saw off a piece!), and never hurt himself beyond
a scratch on his knuckles. When he was 5 we gave him his own cordless drill,
and he was allowed to use the hammer, but not near his younger sister. I
think I still have the little 6" "shelf" he made me...

He has never seriously hurt himself, except for the one time he jumped on a
nail when we were breaking apart some old furniture (he was 2, and was asked
to go get something, and he didn't look where he was stepping), and the time
the dog scratched his cornea when they were wrestling. No broken bones yet.