[FoRK] Where Obama should be raked over the coals...

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Mon Sep 20 13:57:03 PDT 2010

--- On Mon, 9/20/10, Jebadiah Moore <jebdm at jebdm.net> wrote:

> Ganshirt @ Yahoo <ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca > wrote:
>
> > We can blather about what Might Be all we want but the reality seems to
> > always come straight back to Might Makes Right.
> >

> Yes, I think that must always be the case.  I think the trick is, as Stephen
> says, organizing the might so that nobody has enough to use it very much.

jb mentioned speculative fiction. I've seen a couple of items I would love to try. In one model, if the leaders of two (or more) jurisdictions decided the only way to settle a disagreement was to declare war, the leaders themselves were put into the arena and made to fight it out to some conclusion.

In another model, all of the public office positions - both governing and civil service - were filled on a rotational basis. Everyone had to take their turn .. no avoiding it. Except, anyone who actually wanted to be elected to a public office was automatically disqualied.

In the latter model, the way compensation was figured out was that the least desirable jobs paid the most, e.g. sanitary engineer was one of the highest paid, etc.

         ...ken...