[FoRK] Reply to Russell

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Sep 20 21:42:06 PDT 2010

Russell, political philosophy is technology when reduced to practice.
(That's not to say it is techne.  Neither is it episteme.) There is no
reason why the same methods of reasoning and enquiry and development
should not be suitable.

In particular, game and related theories, logics, and metamaths and so
on should be appropriate for its study.  So, too, what we have learned
about complex systems in general, and software (and it's lifecycle)
particularly.  In some sense that's all it is, after all: code.

Arguing that reasoning that way about it is weak merely because it is
not the way it has been approached before (or that it has yet to
prevail over tradition) is rather unconvincing, or at least unhelpful.

The only folks that benefit from a hidebound tradition of alchemy
are... alchemists.

If you want to have a true system of rights in any strong sense, then
you have to define what they ARE, and proceed from there.

That's not to say history has nothing to offer us in such an endeavor.

Attempting to understand why previous systems have been less than
satisfactory would seem to be of great benefit in this, too.

If you want to complain about how your (or anyone else's) *illusory*
"rights" are infringed under an obviously compromised and increasingly
broken system, be my guest.  But it's futile.

Without some well-formed model of the pathology in question, you can't
cure the disease.  At best you can temporarily alleviate some of the
symptoms for some patients.

IMHO, too, there's far too much attention on the epiphenomena.  It is
not government that is truly broken, but metagovernment.  Government
simply will be.  The problem isn't there, it's in what governs
governments, and what controls how they relate to their subjects, and
how they are created and destroyed (or rather, not...)

That's all I've really got to say about it for now.

jb