[FoRK] Reply to Russell

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Sep 21 08:57:16 PDT 2010

  On 9/21/10 8:33 AM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> --- On Tue, 9/21/10, Stephen D. Williams<sdw at lig.net>  wrote:
>> The founding principles, even if only imagined then in a
>> very restricted application, plus the structure of the
>> Federal government, has and will continue to improve the
>> system.
>>
> jb makes a good point here when he mentioned the "meta"government, e.g. those who direct government. Today that is primarily the tug-of-war between the public interest versus corporate interest. Our western "democratic" governments at all levels are caught between the two interests with the threat of not being re-elected, e.g. the risk of pissing off the people and losing votes versus pissing off big contributors and losing campaign money.
>
> And, of course, the erosion of the protections by the actions of Governments and judiciaries themselves. Some of this is also a reaction to external pressures (e.g. "terrorism"); some of it well-intentioned and some of it opportunistic.
>
> > From where I sit, continued improvement looks like a crapshoot at best. Right now I think we're losing more than we're gaining.
>
>          ...ken...
I don't see it that way.  We lost a little ground in the previous administration's period.  We've gained some of that back already.
Overall, the curve is trending very positive.  Unless you interpret some of those new rights / freedoms as going too far, in which
case I can't help you.

We are always going to have surges of various kinds which take things a little too far.  I doubt that many of these are going to
cause permanent regression.  More likely, they create even stronger anti-bodies against future surges of that particular infection.
That happened with Japanese internment camps & red baiting McCarthyism, and it is already in progress with respect to the recent
religious fundamentalist power grab.

For terrorism, security, etc., it's a bit more murky because there are real threats.  It will settle out, although it may take some
time to work out boundaries in better detail.

Copyright and related power grabs are still a mess, but there have been a number of positive signs that the bottom may have been
reached.

Don't worry, be happy.  The reports of our impending demise are greatly exaggerated.  Which is not to suggest that you shouldn't be
working to keep making things better and guarding against the villainous.