[FoRK] Where Obama should be raked over the coals...

Jebadiah Moore jebdm at jebdm.net
Tue Sep 21 15:36:10 PDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo <ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
> wrote:
>
> I can't cite but it seems to me the studies about women and video games all
> show that women are much more interested in very different games than men,
> generally, and where the bubbles overlap on the Venn, the women are
> interested in different aspects of the same games. As you mentioned, they
> get very immersed in the social games. Probably about the same as men in
> shoot-em-ups. The overlap is where the "action" is mostly solving puzzles
> with little or no bloodshed.

Sure, but my point is that women immerse in games at least as well as, and
probably better than, men.  Thus, I wouldn't expect them to reject
uploading/virtual reality on the basis you were saying (women operate in a
more touch-based mode; virtual touch is somehow inferior to "real" touch;
therefore women will reject uploading).

That, beyond the fact that there's no reason touch should be any less well
simulated that sight in the sort of hypothetical scenario where we have good
enough tech to simulate brains and to give them realistic sensory input from
a virtual world.

> (personal observation) Re the Wii, left to themselves, my wife and daughter
> and daughter's friends play very different games than my son-in-law, nephews
> and their friends. The overlap, when it's a family affair, are less bloody
> and more cooperative or based on self-improvement. Or combinations.

Sure, but not really relevant to what I was talking about.  Unless I missed
something?

--
Jebadiah Moore
http://blog.jebdm.net