[FoRK] Where Obama should be raked over the coals...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Sep 22 02:08:36 PDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 05:55:16PM -0400, Jebadiah Moore wrote:

> Perhaps you're right, but I wouldn't leap to that judgement too quickly.  I
> definitely know of a number of women who seemed to be interested when I talk
> about the idea of uploading (I would say that the rate of acceptance is, in

Uploading is not just an idea. I personally know a few mainstream neuroscience
people working on it. It's not anything like Allen's Brain Institute, but just
wait.

> my experience, roughly equal between men and women).
>
> One thing you're forgetting is that, given that you've got enough magic
> (sufficiently advanced technology) that you can simulate a human mind and an
> environment, you can probably simulate touch (and reproduction)
> realistically as well.  Perhaps more women than men would balk when you *

If you can't do that, you haven't succeeded.

> told* them about the idea, but I think that if they were actually uploaded
> they'd get used to it, and quickly come to perceive it as "real".

People always seem to imply autistic boxes in the landscape for some
reason, and not SkyNet++. I wonder why.