[FoRK] Bar Stool Economics

Bill Stoddard wgstoddard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 09:56:19 PDT 2010

  On 9/28/10 12:23 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
> Those interested in actual data / analysis and the tenacity to dig through and understand it might find the following interesting:
>
>    http://www.freetheworld.com/2010/reports/world/EFW2010_BOOK.pdf
>
> I can hear you all saying "oh, but #6 isn't so bad."  Look at the components of that;  in particular, what a large part "soundness of money" plays in that rank.  Any hypothetical notion of "soundness of money" for the US rests on shaky ground, namely the assumptions of the perpetuation of USD as the de facto world reserve currency, its use as the denomination of default for various crucial commodities, and the maintenance of our credit rating.
de facto world reserve currency... does the world really need a 'world
reserve currency' and if the answer is yes, what other currencies would
work? Yea, I know the set answer is the Yuan... but really?

> BTW, nothing I'm saying here should be construed as advice of any kind.  I'm just pointing out some of the assumptions this report relies upon (among others.)
Asking for some advice ... as general or as specific as you (or anyone
on FoRK) sees fit to answer... how would one of modest means hedge
against devaluation of the USD?  Some thoughts... hold gold (physical or
etf), invest in stock of US multinationals with large overseas revenue,
open bank accounts in other currencies (not sure how feasible this
really is... if so, which currencies?).  Invest in foreign
etfs/stocks/stock funds/bonds/bond funds.  Which countries do you see as
being able to weather the coming storms?  Brazil? Australia?

Bill