[FoRK] Bar Stool Economics

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Tue Sep 28 10:52:56 PDT 2010

On Sep 28, 2010, at 6:26 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:
> That is precisely what our so-called "Exit Tax" --- something the US is almost unique in having --- does.

The handful of remaining countries are communist states and similar.

At a minimum, the incredible sense of entitlement the US government has to your assets if you choose to leave the country should bother most reasonable people. Apparently most of the things we think we own actually belong to the government, they are just nice enough to let you use them as long as you are in the country.

China has some similar asymmetric property laws, being allowed to bring personal property into the country but not being allowed to take the same personal property out of the country.