[FoRK] Bar Stool Economics

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Sat Oct 2 05:54:18 PDT 2010

On Oct 2, 2010, at 07:44 , Jeff Bone wrote:

> If you want a meaningful percentage comparison, you'd need to use *the sum of all the state percentage changes* as your denominator.

Sorry, this was just a complete brain fart.  I was so rapturous with schadenfreude and my opportunity to gleefully ride Aaron like a broken-down nag --- truly, thank you Aaron, it's rare that somebody gives me such an *excellent* opportunity --- that the fingers got away from the brain.  What I mean, of course, is that you to compare percentage population change meaningfully, you need to look at the change as a percentage of the total national population.  I.e., "the sum of all the state populations" as your denominator.

Just to be even more clear, Aaron:  consider this.  Let's say I'm a startup and I make my first sale.  My revenue growth from the time immediately before the first sale to immediately after the first sale is *infinite in percentage terms.*  Does that mean I'm now more valuable than PetroChina or Apple?

Do you *get* the problem I'm eluding to, here?

jb