[FoRK] Laws that ban texting while driving could be counter productive

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Oct 4 09:43:31 PDT 2010

  Add this to to the apparent fact that the laws against talking on the phone while driving (without a headset / hands free device)
probably caused more people to switch to texting in the first place, and you have a classic case of unintended consequences biting
you in the butt.

People are going to keep communicating in some fashion regardless.  Better that we optimize it for maximum safety than try to wish
it away.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/09/laws_that_ban_texting_while_driving_could_be_counter_productive.html
> Now here's something worth looking into - the NY Post has reported that laws which ban texting while driving could actually
> increase the risk of road crashes. That's definitely news to us, as we would have thought otherwise. Findings from the Highway
> Loss Data Institute (HLDI) showed that crash rates rose in three out of four states once texting bans were implemented. This could
> be due to the fact that offenders decide to circumvent the ban by lowering their phones down and out of sight when sending a text,
> inadvertently increasing the risk of a crash because their eyes were diverted further from the road and for a longer time.

This seems interesting.  Will have to try it soon.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/09/starttalking_eyes-and-hands_free_text_messaging_mobile_app.html